Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Unusual Blue Jay Song in Great Smoky Mountains



Unusual Blue Jay calling in dense hardwood and hemlock forest at 4000 feet in the Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina in early September. I have not heard this call before, but the consensus is that it is in fact a Blue Jay. I'm very familiar with Blue Jays - in my Florida backyard I have trained them to eat from my hand
,but I never heard them call like this - lengthy repetitive and melodious. However, I have noticed a difference in behavior between the typical suburban Jay as in Florida and those few that inhabit the high mountain forests, I've been visiting this same area of the Smokies for eight years and can count on one hand the number of Blue Jays I've seen. They do not come to feeders - at least in the warm season - and generally make little if any sound. The bird calls that ring out are Towhees, various sparrows, warblers, Wrens, chickadees, nuthatches and titmice and Pileated and Downy Woodpeckers, but never the classic Blue Jay calls. 

New HD videos every week. Please Subscribe at: 


Unusual Blue Jay Song in Great Smoky Mountains




No comments:

Post a Comment