Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First View of Male Eastern Screech Owl Hiding Near Nest Box


Male Gray Eastern Screech Owl Hiding in Daytime near Nest Box

Last evening (March 19th) was the first time I spotted the male owl. Maybe I've been to hard on Mr Screech Owl while the female was laying four eggs in the nest box in front of the cameras this past week and then getting her own dinner in the evening. The gray male Screech Owl is so adept at hiding he may have been there for her all along. He can rest for now, but once the four eggs hatch he will no doubt jump into action just like last year when he was an amazing provider of lizards, small snakes, frogs, a few mice, giant Palmetto bugs and assorted other large insects. This year - one more mouth to feed.

2 comments:

  1. Great video! I love the screech owl's call at night while I'm reading in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - and thanks for visiting my Blog. Even though I know this guy is there it takes me a few minutes to find him in the viewfinder. Heard, but seldom seen!

      Delete